- Berries. Research shows a strong connection between high polyphenol content and an antiviral effect in addition to antioxidant properties. raspberries, blueberries, black currants and cranberries can be added to your diet arsenal against a cold or flu.
- Cabbage. Is an excellent source of vitamin C and contains over half a days value in just one cup. It also is said to an aid for gastrointestinal ailments. Vitamin C levels have shown to decrease when the body is fighting infection, therefore, boost up!
- Elderberry. Studies have shown a reduction in the ability for viruses to replicate when extracts of elderberry are present. Used in a lot of vitamins and supplements as a natural deterrent for colds.
- Garlic. Has been shown to have antiviral, antibacterial AND anti-fungal properties! Just might need some extra toothpaste or mouthwash on hand...... Best eaten raw (if you can tolerate) if possible as it has been known to loose some of these benefits when cooked or steamed. Some information also links garlic to having some cardiac health benefits. Eat up!
- WATER. Not a food, yes correct. Daily water intake is recommended to be about half your body weight in ounces. Being hydrated before you become sick keeps your body's systems working like they should and flushing out toxins at a good rate. When you are not feeling well it is easy to forget to DRINK WATER but that is when it counts most.
Many more can be added to the list, but here's a good place to start.